Estate Planning: Wills, Enduring Power of Attorneys & Personal Directives

Here at KJF we understand that death can be a sensitive topic for some, BUT should you die without a Will (dying “intestate”), the Alberta Wills and Successions act will be the ones who determine how your estate shall be divided and the results of this might not be at all what you would have wished.

A Will is a legal document by which a person expresses their wishes as to how they would like their property & money to be distributed upon death, and  this document names one or more persons, the executor(s), to manage the estate until its final distribution.

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) is different from a Will- in that it comes into effect while you are still alive. It appoints a person(s) to make legal and financial decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Without an Enduring Power of Attorney in place, the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act applies and your family would need a Court Order for Trusteeship, which can be both stressful and extremely costly.

A Personal Directive (PD) is a document, under the Personal Directives Act, that allows you to name the person(s) you trust to make decisions on your behalf should you lose mental capacity (e.g., coma, alzheimer’s, dementia, ect.) and list the areas in which they have decision-making authority (e.g., health care & residential issues.)

Hopefully with this information you will begin to think about your estate, and should you have any further questions or wish to book an appointment Contact us today and we’ll help you create an iron-clad plan for your will and estate needs.


Posted in Law

Travel Consents

So, you’re going on a holiday.  You’ve got your passports, snorkeling gear, something to read by the beach and exchanged your Canadian Currency.

If you’re travelling solo with a child, you still need to pack one more thing: a Travel Consent Letter.  Without this document, bringing a child across the border without both parents present can open up a world of unnecessary headaches.

These travel consent forms are strongly recommended for:

  • Divorced or separated parents when only one parent is travelling with the child
  • Married or Common-law parents when only one parent is travelling with the child
  • Grandparents
  • Aunts & Uncles
  • Siblings
  • Friends of the family
  • Supervisors for school/band/sports trips

The Government of Canada has put the preparation of these forms right at your fingertips, simply fill out this PDF with the information that is requested.  Then bring this completed document to one of the lawyers at KJF.

We would be more than happy to review and notarize these documents for you, and answer any questions that you may have.

Should you have any questions about travel consents or want to book an appointment please contact our office at 780-672-5561 or and let us help you have a care free holiday!